Joseph Maudie

Joseph Maudie was born 24 Jul 1913 in Dunkirk, PA.  At age 19 he went to prison for Burglary and then began a criminal career, with 6 burglary charges, 2 larceny between 1931 and 1950 he was in and out of the Pennsylvania prison system. He had a few escape charges tacked on to his sentence too.













 Sometime in 1936 he met a young lady named Mary Cindric, she became pregnant. I am not sure if Joseph ever knew. I found a death certificate for his son. (Shown below). Read cause of death.



 As I read this I literally cried! I was so shocked and applaud. I looked through newspaper clipping and only found two.






The jury recommended leniency!!!!!! Were they crazy? She strangled her newborn baby and killed it and put it in a suitcase and they want leniency?  Do you know how long it takes to strangle someone to death? She had plenty of time to stop and change her mind. Plus she had 9 months to make plans to give the baby up for adoption. There was no reason or excuse for her behavior. I personally would of given her life in prison no parole. She can sit there and think about what the hell she did to an innocent baby that was her own flesh and blood. No excuse, none!


I do not know if she spent any time locked up or not I couldn't find a prison record or any other newspaper clippings. I also didn't find out much about her, there were no public family trees on Ancestry. I just hope she was locked up for a long time.


Joseph Maudie did get out of prison and he seemed to live a crime free life after the 1950's. He came from a large family his father a coal miner, several brothers were war hero's and one Frank Maudie died in the war in France. 



Frank Maudie (Brother)

 I found photo's of his parents Joseph Maudie SR and Mary A Popp.




Joseph Maudie I
1886-1930



Mary A. Popp
1894-1948

I am not sure why Joseph turned to crime while the rest of his family seem to have been good members of society.

I found an article about the mine his father worked in told by his brother Edward Maudie.





Edward Theodore Maudie 1924-2014

Joseph Maude died on 21 Dec 1989 in Erie. Pennsylvania. I do know if he ever married or had more children. I did not find a Memorial on Findagrave for him.

I pray he found peace and put whatever demons he had to rest. 

As far as this precious baby boy, I made a Memorial for him on Findagrave his Memorial # 186827858  I left flowers and I hope you will too. 



Comments