$100 Reward Missing Boy Fred Draper

In 1908 a missing notice was received in the, Tulare County, California, Sheriff's Office and Jail Records, 1874-1963 for a missing boy from Atlantic, Cass, Iowa. 

He was about 14 years old his description and that he was last seen in Atlantic, Iowa on 4 Aug 1908. He was not known  to be a runaway and he had no coat with him.

Below is the $100 Reward poster on him.



I love this poster for several reasons but mostly this little boys cute face. 

As I was doing my research on him I found a few newspaper articles I have them below. It it obvious this family was worried about their son and wanted him to return safely, at any expense. I am assuming from small bits of information his father was most likely a farmer/rancher. This tells me he was not a wealthy man. It cost a lot of money to post in newspapers and make inquires they could only do that by post and wire back then and if they had a phone which most did not. They would have to go into town and use one at a store or the police station.




I was looking in the 1908 papers and then it dawns on me to look through the 1909 newspapers and like a miracle I found two more clippings.





I am not sure why this kid stole the money, maybe he was hungry or wanted to try and go home. His actions help his family find him.
His dad left Iowa and went to Washington to bring his son home. This tells me that he loved that boy very much. All the money spent looking for him and then the trip there and trip home had to be a great financial burden to this family.

I did not find out anything else about him or his family. I was hoping to find more about his mother. No mention of her except MRS in the newspaper clippings. His father's name was also Fred Draper. All I could find for that area was a man named Herbert Draper with a son Fred about the same age in 1920 Census.

We may never know what happen to Fred when he returned home but I hope he felt his father's love for him in his heart. They killed a pig and had a party.





Tu

Comments