John Jibson McBride: Gets Life for Rape of Step-Daughter, Wife Takes All

John Jibson McBride was born in 1869 in Utah. He was a miner in Idaho, which was a hard life back then. I do not know what he was mining for, could of been gold, but also could been coal, Silver or other minerals. Whatever he was mining it was still dangerous, hard work that didn't pay much. Most didn't live to be old men.





Idaho Mine 1890's




In 1893 he married a Mrs. Estabrook who had a little girl named Flora. In 1896 he was sentenced for Rape and received as Inmate #516 in the Idaho State Penitentiary at age 22. As he was on trial his wife could not testify against him. This poor man was accused of raping his step daughter Flora age 12 at the time. He had no idea his wife plotted the whole thing. She went to visit him in prison to have him sign over his property and assets to her, which he did. She sold off everything and divorced him and ran off with another man named Mr. Post and went to Utah. 

His friends rallied together for him to receive a pardon. (See Newspaper Clipping below).









I made him a family tree so I could try and figure out who this woman was, I came up with two women he married Alice Howard and Clara Whittle. He married Alice in 1894, I couldn't find the year he married Clara.


I found his parents and sibling and added them to his tree.


John Jibson McBride was discharged from prison on 14 Dec 1904 a forever changed man.



I found a photo of his grandfather Thomas McBride. I have McBride's in my family but I did not find a connection yet.


I hope John had many children a kind loving, trustworthy wife and lived a happy life.


Thomas McBride


John Jibson McBride died 25 Jul 1950 in Nampa, Canyon, ID at age 82





His Find A Grave #
170914086
if you would like to leave a memorial for him.

I wonder whatever happened to Flora? I pray she got away from her mother and lived a good life.

So I was so taken by this story I kept digging and found so much more to this story and just had to share it with everyone.


As you may remember John Jibson McBride was sentenced to the Idaho Prison for raping Flora Eastabrook which we found out was most likely a lie. I was wondering what ever happened to Flora. I found out a little more about her but first let's see about her mother Alice M Howard.





She had several husbands I found.

Clyde Eastabrook
Howard Duncan
John Jibson McBride
Benjamin Melroy Post

Busy women. As far as I can tell she only had 2 children.

Susie Eastabrook Born Jan 1887 in Idaho
Flora Eastabrook Born Sep 1897 in Idaho
Sherman Eastabrook 

When Alice ran off she married Benjamin Melroy Post first before leaving Idaho, I found a 1900 census with them and the 2 girls living in Reservation, OR. 

I did not find out anything else about Miss Flora Eastabrook. I was hoping to find husband and children.

Alice M Howard was born 30 Oct 1871 in Idaho, died 6 Sep 1948 in Midway, Canyon, Idaho she is buried with her last husband Benjamin Melroy Post. He was born 25 Jan 1875 in Buckhannon, WV and died 27 MAr 1954 in Midaway, ID

Alice M Howard was born to Anderson Abehue Howard born 24 Jul 1835 in Indiana and died 19 Oct 1920 in Midway, ID. Her mother was Martha Cox born 13 Nov 1843 in MO, died 17 Jun 1895 in Midway, ID

Alice has a FAG Memorial #89433005
She had 8 known siblings.



I did notice something strange about her marriage document with Duncan Howard, they were married in 1881 she would have been about 10, I think her birth date is wrong or she lied about her age when she married which is most unlikely. Just more interesting things to add to this story.

Comments