Pvt. Abner Davis: Houston, TX 1917 Riot Camp Logan Series

Abner Davis was born 29 Jun 1893 in Danville, Ky to James Henry Davis (1855-1953) and Amanda Miriam McFerran (1844-1879). He was married to Elizabeth Caldwell (1894-1970), they had 4 known children together. 


Elizabeth Caldwell


Baby Davis
1926–1926
James Abner Davis
1928–2001
Charles E Davis
1929–1958
Bessie Elester Davis
1935–2012





Abner Davis
Inmate #12254 Leavenworth
Crime: Mutiny & Murder
Rec:
Term: Life


























Here is his baby son's death certficate


Their son Charles Davis photo below


Charles E Davis 

As I read many newspaper clippings on the riot this is what happened. 

These boys from the 24th INF had just returned from the Philippines to Camp Logan in Houston, TX. There were some white construction workers, working at the camp. They were ticked off that there were no separate bathrooms and they had to share with the colored troop. This is the reason the riot broke out. They went into the city and complained and the word spread like wild fire. 17 people killed and 21 injured. In my opinion the aftermath and trial was like that of the Salem Witch Trials. The riot happened in Aug 1917 and by December the soldiers were in Leavenworth with life term sentences, after 13 were hung. They were striped of their military enlistments given dishonorable discharges. I am not saying they are all innocent, but while reading the transcripts you can tell some are pointing the finger at others and it's all a circus. I was very crushed that these young men's lives were ruined. When I started this I had no idea about the riot. I was researching Leavenworth prisoners and saw all these young black men's mugshots and it arouse my curiosity to find out more. I looked into the eyes of these soldiers and saw the hurt and pain they felt. I am compelled to tell their stories as best as I can and hope to connect each of them with lost family members that may not know of their endeavor. 

 

Comments