Susie Lichter: Prostitution

Susanna "Susie" Theresa Lichter was born 14 Jan 1896 in Nelson, WA to Christopher Lichter (1863-1933) and Katherine Newman (1869-1960).

Susie was arrested 7 Aug 1918 in Clark County, WA for prostitution, vagrancy, venereal,  she was 23 years old and her occupation was a waitress. She spent 30 days in jail.





Susie's life was sad, her father was committed to Eastern Hospital on Medical Island for the Insane by the 1910 census at age 40 and stayed until his death 8 Apr 1933. His wife had 4 other children along with Susie to raise. Katherine never married again. 




Christopher & Katherine's Children:

Steven Lichter 1894-1939
Susanna Theresa Lichter 1896-1954
Mary Louise Lichter 1899-1993
Elizabeth Katherine Lichter 1900-1993
Annie Lichter 1903-1992

I noticed 2 of the sisters died in 1993, I looked through newspapers but found nothing but I only have the minimum subscription. 

Susie married 1 Feb 1919 Vancouver, WA to Herman Roy Hoveland who was born 1 Jun 1894 in Mnenie, MI.

They had 2 son's

Vernon Hoveland 1919-1972
Eugene Roy Hoveland 1922-1997

She was divorced by the 1940 Census
According to the cities directories they had a bakery and she was a baker and chef, in Ellensburg, WA
I did not find a 1930 census for her.

Susie died 30 Jan 1954 Seattle, WA, her FAG Memorial #8358332

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/83583332/susanna-theresa-hoveland

I am very moved by her story and felt the need to make her a tree and tell her story so that a family member would know what kind of life she had and try and understand her pain. 

I would never be ashamed of any of my ancestor's for whatever they did and I do not judge anyone. Susie did what she had to do and had to live with that. I admire her for that. Now she has peace.







Comments

  1. Susie is my great-grandmother. Eugene was my grandfather. He had a son, my father, named Larry. He changed his last name to Barber in the 70’s. Eugene and my father both died of Huntington’s Disease. With Susie’s early death and her father Christopher being committed to an insane asylum the assumption is they both carried the Huntingtin gene mutation and died of this hereditary disease as well. There is no shame on her from my family. This is a terrible incurable disease that caused so much poverty and suffering. She did we she had to do to survive. There is no shame in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting and giving more family information. I agree that there is no shame at all, she did what she had to survive.
      Again thank you so much.

      Delete

Post a Comment