Borsia M Rakocevich: Murdered Fred Sellers while playing cards

Borsia M Rakocevich he was born Dec 1871 in Kolashin, Montenegro. He had two brothers that came to America with him or at a different time. Miliia & Peruta.

In 1911 Borsia entered a saloon in Alaska and sat and played cards with a fella named Fred Sellers, a 21 year old from Iowa, they both were strapping guns. Brosia claims it was self defense. 









Brosia was Inmate #2132 McNeil Island 
Crime: Murder
Rec: 15 Feb 1912
Term: 25 years
He was transferred to Leavenworth as inmate #8152





I found these Leavenworth records:

























This was from his brother 









This is his home land







I couldn't imagine why they left this beautiful place to come to America.



Some newspaper clippings








This last article has details about Fred Sellers and his grieving mother.




There were very few records found on Borsia and I do not know where he died. His term would of expired in 1938, but he was released 17  March 1922 and was paroled to Minneapolis, MN.


Really sad situation he got himself into, he was married but I never found her name and never found any children.

He most likely died in Minnesota.

Update: I found a few more Documents from his Leavenworth file, including a letter from his brother-in-law.























He was paroled 17 March 1922




Comments

  1. I've also done research on this immigrant. I have him last listed as living in Virginia, MN (1924), as per the city directory. I also have, what I believe to be his last census record, in 1930, living as a lodger in Chisholm, St. Louis Co., MN as a miner, age 50 and widowed.

    I believe his wife's name was Cecelia.

    Let me know if this is helpful information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your findings, he was paroled 17 Mar 1922. I found several more documents I will add to his tree and to this blog post.

    Thank you so very much
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment