Frank Waara: Sedition

Frank Waara was born about 1881 in Sweden.

Inmate #6341 Montana State Prison in Deer Lodge, MT
Rec: 7 June 1918
Crime: Sedition
Term: 18-36 Months
Crime was committed in Bozeman, MT







Sedition is overt conduct, such as speech and organization, that tends toward insurrection against the established order. Sedition often includes subversion of a constitution and incitement of discontent towards, or resistance against established authority.








I found a death record for a Frank Waara in Sacramento, CA 18 Apr 1937. I believe this could be him. There is another Frank Warra born about the same time in Finland who lived in Michigan, I do not think that is this Frank due to birthdates of children and he was a farmer.


I had never heard of this crime so it was exciting to learn something new. I made him a tree on Ancestry. Maybe a relative will find him.


Comments

  1. I notice his conviction date was during the era of WWI. During WWI the US government used a very heavy hand on any person or group that spoke out against the US form of democracy or it's policies. Using internment camps, jails, and prisons to house those considered anti-government, etc. Think of the Japanese internment camps of WWII, but on steroids. I learned this quite recently from a documentary on PBS about WWI (cannot remember the name). I was rather shocked, having not heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the insight and sharing your knowledge of your findings. I had no clue either and researched and watched a few documentaries on it. I was blown away. I grew up in an era of Freedom of Speech, but this really has nothing to do with that.

    Thank you so much for your comment.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment