Sam Jefferson: Father and Son Criminal Records

Sam Jefferson was born 7 Dec 1872 in Muskogee, OK, to Fee Jefferson (1856-) and Phyllis McGilbray (1857-). Oklahome at the time was considered the Indian Territory.

The Indian Territory included present-day Oklahoma N and E of the Red River, as well as Kansas and Nebraska the lands were delimited in 1854, however, by the creation of the Kansas and Nebraska territories. Tribes other than the original five also moved there, but each tribe maintained its own government.

The Territory of Oklahoma was an organized incorporated territory of the United States that existed from May 2, 1890, until November 16, 1907, when it was joined with the Indian Territory under a new constitution and admitted to the Union as the State of Oklahoma.

Native American alliances. Before the outbreak of war, the United States government relocated all soldiers in the Indian Territory to other key areas, leaving the territory unprotected from Texas and Arkansas, which had already joined the Confederacy.


Indians had black slaves:

https://canvas.ou.edu/courses/493/pages/reading-black-settlement-in-indian-territory-and-oklahoma-territory


Sam Jefferson was a farmer who was married to Sallie Fields (abt 1886-) and she later divorced him. They had 2 known children I found. Sallie Bell Jefferson (1900-1954) & Clyde Jefferson born in 1902.

Sam Jefferson was a part of the Creek Tribe.
In 1906 he was sentenced to 3 years for forgery 2 counts and his 2nd time in Leavenworth. This time he would be Inmate #5361 at age 36 he was received on 19 Oct 1906.



He was released at 9 am on 21 Apr 1908.

The following are his prison records.



















As I was tracing his family history I found that his father Fee Jefferson ran into some problems of his own. He was charged with Larceny in 1883 here are the documents I found from Fort Smith, Arkansas.






















I wish I would of found a photo of Fee.

I found him on the Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Indian Censuses and Rolls, 1851-1959



I didn't find any other census records with him in them. I also do not know when he died.  He did have a possible second wife Liddie Conner who gave him a son named Jim.

His children with first wife were:


Sam Jefferson
1872–
Thomas Jefferson
1878–1960
Jane Jefferson
1882–
Raleigh Robert Jefferson
1882–
Rolly Jefferson
1884–
Fannie Jefferson


Sam Jefferson had one other conviction I found as Inmate #3931 I do not know the circumstances, I didn't find a record.
I also do not know when he died.











Comments