Eliza Louise Potigian: Killed Her Husband and His Children For Money

Eliza Louise Potigian was Born as Eliza Louise Ekhpurian born 15 Jul 1888 in Armenia Parents sure names Ekpurian & Ganichin.


She came to America 7 Dec 1913 to New York City with her husband Hagop Kason and son Choren Henry Kason (1904-1999).  Her husband died and she became a widow. She was a Dressmaker.







Inmate #40234 San Quentin
Rec: 23 Dec 1924
Crime: Murder 1st Degree
Transferred later to Tehachapi as #40234 





On 24 Jan 1918 she married a widow named Setrak Potigian he had 5 children with his first wife Dikranoohi Momijam
(1890–)
George (Goorken) Gorden Potigian
1903–1991
Margaret Potigian
1906–1924
Charles Potigian
1917–
Garabed Potigian
1920–1922


Setrak had a large ranch in Fresno County, CA worth $125,000. Eliza had murdered his son Garabed by drowning him and Setrak had his suspicions and shared them with the police. He then died 23 Jun 1923 and was buried and police were questioning his death. Then his daughter Margaret died June of 1924 and the police had an autopsy done and it proved she was poisoned  with arsenic and had Setrak body exhumed and he was also poisoned.   

She was arrested and a trial ensued for 14 months before a jury took an hour to find her guilty and she was sentenced to life in prison for the murders, though she was never convicted of Garabed's murder.

Here are some newspaper article I found:







Eliza was paroled from prison 19 Jun 1937 and was pardoned 1 Oct 1953.

She married yet again To Byron A Webster in the 1940 Census he is listed as her spouse.

Eliza died 26 Jan 1988 in San Mateo, CA

I made a tree for her and all the victims involved do have Memorial on Find A Grave I linked them together and I add this ribbon to them.

May they all rest in peace 




Comments

  1. Hi Gwen,
    This is a story of some personal interest to me. I was wondering if you were able to gather all these details from online sources.

    As common as such crimes were in the region these women immigrated from, I have to suspect connections to organized crime and these types of organizations are likely very good at covering their tracks and surving and perhaps thriving through both political turmoil and geographic displacement. They are also quite adaptive and have probably gotten very sophisticated at making murder appear as natural causes. They are also adept at gaining the leverage required to offer and receive influence with corrupt officialdom. So I would advise any that poke around such cases that there may be many more victims...and counting. Resting may not yet lead to peace if my suspicions hold any water.

    Is there anything special about this case that drew your interest to dig as deeply as you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this is a very late response, as I did not get a email notification as I usually do. Thank you for sharing with me, I am so happy you left this comment. I get most of mine from online sources but 90% of these types of criminal records are not online, you have to write/call for them. Feel free to join my Criminal Genealogy Group on Facebook...I have almost 10,000 members I have helped find their naughty ancestor's criminal records. There will be 3 questions to answer in order to join..it is a priave group so others can not see you are in this group or what you post.

      Delete
    2. I also made a tree on Ancestry and everything here is attached

      Delete

Post a Comment