Criminal Genealogy Group On Facebook

I started this blog to write about people who had criminal records and to tell their stories, I became their voice. It's like they were restless and needed their stories told so they could rest easily, once the skeleton fell from the closet. 



I do not always find lots of information on the people I write about, but I try to give as much genealogy information and newspaper stories as I can find to let family who find them later know what all happened to their ancestor.




Some stories are very sad and heart breaking, while others do have happy endings. I have had several family members leave comments or email me thanking me for the story I wrote and telling more about the person. In many cases the family had no idea about the criminal record.

I started this blog several years ago and in June of this year I decided to start a group on facebook to help others find their criminal ancestors. It's not an easy thing to find these records. Most records are not online and you have to write/call or email for them. 

I have 6,636 members as of the time I wrote this. I just want to say that each one of them has made this group the best there ever was on Facebook, there is no drama at all, everyone gets along and all work together. Since June we have only deleted maybe 5 members.



I have a lady named Lisa who helps me run the group because I just can not do it myself, and she is a great researcher and a wonderful friend and sounding board. 

I just wanted to write my blog today about these wonderful people in our group and let others know that even though you may have something horrible in your family tree like incest, rape, abuse, robbery, murder, kiddnapping, we are all here to help and we all understand. No judgements ever.

We have helped so many people get their ancestor's criminal records and mugshots, it amazes me how grateful they are. Even the ones that have no lucking getting theirs have stayed in the group and helped others find theirs.

I wish there was some way of getting records from jails/prisons and start an online database so people can get them before they are all destroyed and all hope is gone in trying to understand why an ancestor did whatever they did.

This group is private, no one outside the group can see anything, I want all my members to feel safe from being harassed by family or others about what they are searching for. We do NOT search for living people.

Today's blog is dedicated to the members of this group and to thank each and everyone one of them for making it a huge success.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.



Comments