James Tow: Incest With Step-Daughter

James Tow was born about 1850 in possibly Illinois. I did not find his wife but his step-daughter was Effie A Chamberlin.

Inmate #1434 Washington State Prison
Rec: 18 July 1895
Term: 7 years
Discharged: 24 Feb 1900

His step daughter Effie got married to Charles Monteith on 4 Sep 1895 at the First presbyterian Church in Spokane, WA. Obviously of age to marry. 

He did file for a pardon.

I didn't find much on them but I wanted to blog it anyway because of the crime. They called it incest but I feel it might have been statutory rape which wasn't a legal term then. I found several newspaper articles where James asked about his land and if it would still be there for him when he returned.







 James was a rancher and I did not find land records. I wonder how much his spread was worth and what livestock he was raising as a rancher.

Someday we will know the rest of the story.


Comments