James Walter Riley: Burglary

James Walter Riley was born March 1862 in Ireland. He was a Tailor by trade. 

When I started researching James all I had was his jail record and mugshot from Clark County, WA.




With the information on this records I was able to find out more about James.

He was no. 71 in the Clark County Jail and was being held because he was charged in Portland, OR for burglary. Seems he like to steal things from other people's hotel rooms.
He was received 28 May 1911 for burglary and hold up.

Also says he was in San Quentin Prison in California and El Paso, TX Jail and had a parole violation in Portland, OR 19 Jan 1914 (I sent and email for his prison record there as inmate #6404).

I knew I could get his San Quentin record from Ancestry. (below).



Inmate #23591 San Quentin Prison
Rec: 27 May 1909
Crime: Burglary 2nd Degree
Term: 1 1/2 years
Age: 33
Discharged: 27 Aug 1910
He also had an alias:  Edward Sanger



I found some rather colorful newspaper articles on James.





Both are from 1911 Portland, OR

1900 census he is an inmate in San Quentin 
1910 census He is still an inmate in San Quentin. I did not find him anywhere except in 1924 when he decided to get gun happy in a Hobo Camp.



This is California 1924

I did not find a prison record for this incident so he most likely just did time in the jail. 

I didn't find any family information but I do know he lead a tough and dangerous life, just by reading all his scars he had. What happened to him? Where were is parents, was he orphaned? Lots of questions waiting to be answered. I don't even know when he died and where.

I picture James sitting in a hotel saloon somewhere in a corner so he can watch the door, as he drinks his beer out of a dirty mug. Watching for his next move.




Comments