William Nelson Adair: Rape & Forgery

William Nelson Adair was born Jul 1880 in California to Henry Burke Adair (1842-1908) & Elizabeth Ingalls (1848-1911).





Inmate #22956 San Quentin Prison
Rec: 2 Jul 1908
Crime: Rape
Term: 7 Years
Discharged" 2 Apr 1913
He raped his niece, his sister's daughter Marcia Wilson (1901-1992) I found this information from a tree on Ancestry, that someone was bold enough to add, which I admire.






I did not find any newspaper articles on this crime, but that didn't surprise Rape was taboo in newspapers at certain times in history.

I also found this mugshot of William



Inmate #7044 Washington State Prison
Rec: 1913
Crime: Forgery
Age: 30

I did not find a death date for him, there is many William Nelson Adair's kinda strange. The one tree I found did not have a death date for him either,

His story started with the mugshot from Washington State Prison and lead me to San Quentin and a sad account of a family that didn't keep the skeleton in the closet. I am so impressed by this. I as well add everything to my tree, the Good, Bad and Ugly. It's your family story and why not have it as accurate as possible. 



Comments

  1. Overall, he wasn't a good person--didn't care about his actions whatsoever. I also admire the family for being so brave and accepting the truth. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I agree the family did a brave thing.

      Delete
    2. I'm the family that posted the story to Ancestry. William was one of 10 Adair children. Another niece, Thelma Adair Keyes, told me what happened when I started my genealogy work. Her angle was how proud she was of her Aunt Neva for pressing charges in a time when you just didn't talk about these things.

      Delete
    3. I would be proud of her as well, thank you for being so brave and awesome for attaching all that..not many do..bless you

      Delete

Post a Comment