Ada May Van Dyke: Murder 2nd Degree

Ada May Reece was born 21 March 1895 in Cape Girardeau, MO, to Nelson Reece & Lillie M Isbell. 

Ada was married to Isaac Arthur VanDyke (1907-1973). They were married around 1931 and divorced by 1940.

I also believe she was married to a Mr. Buckley
She had a daughter Creola who married a Mr. Williams





Inmate #7974 New Mexico State Prison
Rec: 9 June 1934
Crime: Murder 2nd Degree
Term: 50 to 60 Years
age: 40














I feel her sentence was very harsh for 2nd degree murder.
Her and her daughter were staying in a motel and her daughter had just left her room when a man by the name of Albert W Jones Alias E. W. Wilson came through her window and tried to assault her and she shot him, according to her story. 

The man had an alias, to me that means he must of had some kind of a criminal record. So I looked for him in the New Mexico records and found he had been in prison for Bigamy in 1923.

Here's a few newspaper articles:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/33570663/ada_may_vandyke/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/33570636/ada_may_vandyke/




I did not find any further information not even her death.

I believe Ada's story, she had no priors I could find but nonetheless he had been bothering her and there were witness that said so. I wonder what the court records would reveal? I bet reading the testimony would really help determine what had actually happened. 




Comments