James McCleary: 1897 Inmate Kansas State Prison

James was born about 1880 in Tennessee, unfortunately this is all the information I have at this time.


Inmate #9292 Kansas State Prison 
Rec: 16 April 1897
Crime: Unknown

He shows up in the 1900 census in the Kansas State Prison, 1920 census he is out working as a porter (Janitor of sorts) in a Pool Hall in Pratt, KS where he would live through all the census to 1940 doing this same job. The census all say he was divorced. His parents were born in Tennessee. 

I only found one newspaper article I think might be him charged with vagrancy and did jail time.



I found a 1880 Kansas Census with a I. McCleary I believe might be his father and siblings. Need more research.

The last record I found was a Kansas 1953 City Census for Pratt, KS where James was about 77 years old. Unfortunately there are no death records or index for Kansas on Ancestry. I made him a tree I attached his mugshot and hopefully a someone related will find him. This is most likely the only photograph of James. They will happy for finding this treasure. 


Comments