Ray Castle Abbott: Murder To Heroism

Ray Castle Abbott was born 2 Nov 1913 in Lincoln, NE to Frank Marrion Abbott (1858-1938) and Etta Downing (1874-1944).

Here's the link to the newspaper article for you to read.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34512035/ray_abbott/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34512096/ray_abbott/

Name: ABBOTT, RAY
Alias Name:
When Born: 913/2/11
County: JEFFERSON
Prisoner Number: R1990
Crime: MURDER
Sentence: 10
Photo:
Remarks:
Reel Number:
RG034#1






Ray and his friend Arnold got into and argument and fists started flying and the 15 year old dies in the hospital from his injuries. 17 year old Ray Abbott gets convicted and goes to prison. 

Ray at some time by 1941 gets out of prison and enlists on 25 Dec 1941 into 161 Infantry Reg, 25 Inf Div U.S. Army and gets deployed into WWII in Korea where he himself is killed 11 Feb 1943 and is buried in the Guadalcanal Cemetery in Solomon Islands until he is moved on the 21 March 1949 to National Memorial of Pacific in Hawaii. He was honored with the Bronze Star, like the one shown below.


He did his time and he served our country and died for it. I would say he is forgiven.

He was lost in combat here is a newspaper clipping I found.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34763924/pvt_ray_abbott/

He is then found killed in Action and here is that newspaper article.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/34764035/pvt_ray_abbott/

Here is his memorial on Find A Grave :

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/105026788/ray-c-abbott

I only found a couple other trees on Ancestry for him none even have his military records attached. So I attached everything to the tree I made him. I could feel him with me while I wrote this and I think he is still remorseful over his friends death, I believe he never forgave himself.

He's a hero in my book and I thank him for his service.

Heroism. When you think of heroism, you might think of great acts of bravery, such as rushing into burning buildings and facing danger in battle. ... As someone who shows great courage and valor is referred to as a hero, their actions are considered to be acts of heroism.

  

Comments

  1. Good story. He was just a kid when he accidentally killed his friend. I know what you mean when you say you can feel the person you are researching. I get the same feeling when I research my ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reaching out and leaving a comment, means so much to me. Happy to know someone gets those feelings too.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment