Daniel M LeBaron: Murders His Wife's Lover

Daniel Moroni LeBaron was born 22 Feb 1858 in Salt Lake City, UT to Alonzo Harrington LeBaron (1818-1891) & Sarah Jeffs (1831-1864). He was known as "Mormon Dan"





Inmate: #1303 Nevada State Prison
Rec: 12 Dec 1909
Crime: Murder 1st Degree
Term: Life
Age: 50
Paroled: 15 Apr 1913








Here's a text version of a letter Daniel's brother wrote to their sister, I do not know what happened to the original.

Letter from William Jeffs LeBaron to his sister
August 10, 1908

from Turlock, CA to Beaver, Utah

Letter Written by William Jeffs LeBaron to his Sister Sarah Agnes (LeBaron) Hutchings


Mrs. Agnes Hutchings

Beaver, Utah

Dear sister,

     Your welcome letter of the sixth was received yesterday. I was glad to hear from you. When I wrote you before I did not finish as I wanted to and expected to write again in a day or two but could not get at it. I have been so busy and we have so much company lately. Eliza's sister and her girl friend from Arizona is here now.

     Eliza (Eliza Ann Fryer, Will's second wife) is generally feeling first rate. She is getting quite fleshy, weights 190#. Her goiter is no better, is growing some all the time. We have been thinking of having a surgical operation and have it removed. She went to Oakland to see a doctor about having it removed. He told her it could be done without much danger and not very great expense. About two weeks in the hospital would do.

     Libbie is feeling better than she was when I wrote last. They are getting pretty well.

     Yes, I got a letter from Dan (Daniel Moroni LeBaron) a few days ago. He said he was feeling pretty well. He did not write much. He feels confident he will have no trouble in getting cleared. Yes, I seen Kate (Catherine J. Reil, Dan's wife) and talked with her. She talked very bitter against Dan but did not seem to grieve over the man he killed although she said he was the best friend she had. The business men that I talked with said Dan had always done right with them and was sorry he had done as he had. They thought if Dan had done the act long before it would have been a wiser move.

     I have found no one that will do anything about the mines yet and am still trying but if I don't will have to do the best we can for money. I am so much in debt here now I don't know if I can raise much but I told the attorneys that the court appointed for him that I would rustle them some money and I think they are pretty good attorneys and will do their very best  to clear him. I paid them fifty dollars when I was there for Dan and I would like to pay them at least $250 more if they do the work I think they will.

    I think it will come up about the first thing after court sets in September. I do not know just the date but will in time. I do not know how much it would take for you to make a round trip but I think about fifty dollars. Can't you get an excursion ticket that will bring you right through to San Francisco and return with stop off privileges. I think that would be cheaper than to go only to Winnemucca and then you could come and pay us a visit at the same time. I hope you can arrange to do that way. The best way is to write or get Mr. Cline (Sadie Hutchings' husband) to write the General Passenger Agent at Salt Lake City.

     Dan needs no money while he is in the prison or if he does he will let me know.

     Sister Louise (David Alonzo LeBaron's widow) is now living at Florence, Arizona, her old home. If you write her soon you will reach her there. She never writes to me or any of them. I don't know why. You will have better success if you write to Lola (David Alonzo and Louisa's daughter). I think she writes....sometimes.

     Glad to learn you like to read the Turlock Journal. Yes, the Elder's Journal came right along. I have not read it much. Eliza and children used to read it some. Many thanks for sending it.

     Yes, dear sister, I got the tie you sent me and so good and kind of you to remember my birthday every year. I never think of such things until they are past.

     Now, Dear Sister, I expect to attend Brother Dan's trial and hope to meet you there and want you to come home with me and give us a visit. It will do you and us both good. So I will expect you to come and you arrange at home so you can stay away at least a month.

     All the folks and myself expects to take a trip up tp La Grange where the head of our canal is and see the big dam. We will be gone four days, just for an outing. Write soon. We are all quite well. Hope this finds you all the same. I close with love to all. Get Will to come and pay us a visit with you.

Your Affectionate Bro.


W. J. LeBaron 

Photo of Daniel and his siblings


Daniel M. LeBaron & W.J. LeBaron (in back), Lydia M. (LeBaron) Button, Sarah A. (LeBaron) Hutchings, and Mary E. (LeBaron) Schmidt in front.

Here is a family story no one know who wrote it but the capitalized parts are written by a Great Nephew of Daniel's.

Daniel (Dan) Moroni LeBaron (1858-1940)

     Daniel Moroni LeBaron was the fourth child and third son of Alonzo Harrington and Sarah (Jeffs) LeBaron. He was born in Salt Lake City, Utah. Dan must have been about six years old when his mother died, leaving him along with his other five brothers and sisters to the mercies of other families. At the time of their mother's death the family was in Beaver, Utah.

     Dan grew up in Beaver. On October 17, 1879, Dan left Beaver with pictures of the wild west and the golden sands of California in his head.

     Dan married Jennie Chambers March 2, 1886. They had no children. Dan and Jennie raised Catherine Jane Reil when she and her sisters were orphaned. Catherine had two other sisters and they were taken in by other families. Dan and Jennie were married for about ten years when she died. After Dan's  wife Jennie died, he married Catherine Jane Reil, when she was about 16 years old and he was about 37 years old, on July 21, 1896. Dan and Catherine had three children: Daniel Luther LeBaron, William LeBaron (died as a baby), and Hazel LeBaron.

     Dan, Catherine and children lived on a ranch on Nevada known as "Mormon Dan's Ranch", It seems all the family and ranch hands just worked all day long, hardly even having time for recreation. Catherine was sick many times. She had a ruptured appendix and nearly died. In about 1908 Dan killed a man for fooling around with his wife. Dan was put in prison at Winnemucca, Nevada. On December 12, 1909 he was sent to Carson City prison. Catherine picked up her divorce on December 21, 1909. Catherine received all of the ranch and possessions with her divorce. A tragic story about a family, hard work on a ranch so isolated, more or less destroyed a dream and tore a family apart. Dan was eventually acquitted and released from prison. He went to Turlock, California where his brother Will and sister Libbie lived, to start over. He lived until his death on January 7, 1940 at Turlock, California, and was buried there.

DANIEL TOOK UP FARMING ALONG THE 99 HIGHWAY SOUTH OF TURLOCK BY ABOUT 4 MILES IN THE VICINITY NEAR DELHI, CALIFORNIA.  HIS FARM WAS BEHIND AND ADJACENT TO DON FULLER'S "SHADY REST", WHICH WAS A GAS STATION ALONG WITH A BAR AND SMALL GROCERY STORE. THIS WAS JUST NORTH OF WHERE BRADBERRY ROAD COMES INTO THE 99 HIGHWAY.

 DANIEL HAD A SORT OF HOBBY, I WOULD CALL IT, IN HIS OLDER YEARS ON HIS FARM NEAR DELHI, CALIFORNIA, WHICH WAS WHITTLING WALKING CANES FROM MULBERRY AND UMBRELLA TREES.  HIS YOUNGER SISTER MARY E.LEBARON HOLGATE SCHMIDT LIVED WITH HIM ON THE FARM DURING HIS LATER LIFE AS HIS HOUSEKEEPER AND SHE WAS WIDOWED AT THE TIME TOO.


HE SPENT SOME TIME AT CARSON CITY STATE PRISON FOR KILLING HIS HIRED HAND TOM NEW, I BELIEVE HE WAS ALSO KNOWN AS BIG TEX.  HE HAD BEEN TOLD BY SOMEONE THAT THIS ROMANCE WAS HAPPENING WHEN HE WAS OUT DOING HIS PROSPECTING AS HE WOULD BE GONE FOR SEVERAL DAYS AT TIMES. THIS ONE DAY HE LEFT FOR ONE OF HIS PROSPECTING TRIPS AND THEN RETURNED UNEXPECTEDLY AND FOUND THEM IN BED TOGETHER.  DANIEL SHOT HIM DEAD IN A BAR IN WINNEMUCCA, NEVADA WHEN OL' BIG TEX WAS BRAGGING ABOUT IT. HE WROTE MANY POEMS ABOUT HIS CHILDREN AND SUCH.  MOST OF THEM WERE WRITTEN  WHILE HE WAS WAITING TRIAL FOR THE KILLING AND WHILE IN PRISON FOR IT.  THE ORIGINAL POEMS ARE WITH THE WINNEMUCCA, NV. HISTORICAL SOCIETY'S CARE.  HE ALSO HAD A UNITED STATES PATENT TO AN ATTACHMENT (POWER TRANSMISSION)THAT WENT ONTO A WINDMILL WHEREAS MORE THAN ONE PUMP COULD BE HOOKED UP TO THE POWER OF THE WINDMILL, THAT ORIGINAL PATENT IS ALSO WITH THE WINNEMUCCA,NV. HISTORICAL SOCIETY.   ROBERT A. LEBARON (GREAT NEPHEW).


Daniel was married 2 Mar 1886 in Humboldt County, NV to Jennie Chambers (the wife who was messing around). She divorced him while he was in prison on 21 Dec 1909.

He was also married to Catherine Jane Reil (1880-1935) on 21 July 1896 in Nevada.

There were children: None from Jennie
Lloyd Luther LeBaron 1896-1962
William LeBaron 1902-1902
Laura Hazel LeBaron 1905-


Daniel, Catherine & Hazel about 1906

You will notice some of this family story is wrong, I found the marriage records and he married both these women the same year. I also found the divorce index. All attached to his tree I made.

Daniel died 7 Jan 1940 in Turlock, CA

His Find A Grave Memorial



Comments