Langdon W Moore: Bank Robber & Counterfeiter

Langdon W Moore was born 7 May 1830 in East Washington, New Hampshire, to Jonathan Moore (1796-1879) & Dorothy "Dolly" Whitney (1796-1848).



Langdon's Mugshot from 1880



Taken in NYC


This is from a book he wrote, I will use a few experts from it, Langdon W. Moore: His Own Story of His Eventful Life By Langdon W. Moore.

He was married to Rebecca Sturges, she was a widow of Dad Cunningham, and daughter of Bill Sturges and old English sneak thief and pickpocket. They married in Bayonne, New Jersey.

Langdon had made over $2,000,000 in his lifetime as a thief. He claims it started with a gambling addiction as a boy and grew worse as he reached manhood, he couldn't get money fast enough in the early days.

Here in his own words:

I submit here with the story of my life. It is told in my own way, without fiction or flourish, but fairly, freely, and truthfully. In passing all this information to the public, I am carrying out the idea that the public will be benefited by the knowledge. Before leaving the Massachusetts State Prison, Sept. 8, 1890, I determined to sever all connections with licensed and unlicensed thieves, and, so far as lay in my power, right the wrongs I had done, by showing just how it was possible for so many robberies to be committed without the arrest and conviction of a single person. All honest men should know that a “crooked” official, who is just honest enough not to be suspected, is far more dangerous than a well-known thief. While exposing the methods of the kind of detectives who give protection to thieves for a percentage of property stolen, I have given, I hope, some assistance to honest police officials.


When a very young man I learned to gamble, and lost all my savings and earnings before I became aware that it was a vice over which I had no control. As I could not earn money fast enough to gratify the passion, I chose a life of crime. I made money very fast, but I could not steal fast enough to feed a lot of hungry licensed thieves, the gamblers, and my family. I also learned from hard experience that money obtained by fraud is at a discount and will not purchase peace, comfort, and a contented mind. If any young man starting out in life thinks he can make a success of crime, he will discover, perhaps when too late, that his life has been a failure.

He wrote his book eloquently and if you have a change to read it, it is available free on Google Books.

As a boy of 10 he had a deep desire to be a farmer, and some family friends agreed to take him in for a while and teach him. They were cruel to him and he had explained this to his mother and for the first time in his life he felt she didn't believe him, but found out first hand he told the truth and he never returned to that farm again.


Here are a few photos from his book of places he was locked up.








Langdon's discharge papers from Massachusetts State Prison

He started counterfeiting early in his criminal career and here are a couple of his forgeries.










 In his book he explains these in great detail.

I found these newspaper articles:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/48310314/langdon-w-moore/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/48310862/langdon-w-moore/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/48309672/langdon-w-moore/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/48309580/langdon-w-moore/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/48310498/langdon-w-moore/



Langdon and Rebecca divorced–acrimoniously–in 1891. Rebecca took up with another man while Moore was serving his lengthy sentence in Massachusetts throughout the 1880s; Moore, upon his release, sought the couple out and viciously attacked the man with a knife. Langdon later filed for the divorce. Rebecca sued for alimony, though Moore–quite naturally–claimed he had no source of income.


I believe the man was one he knew from his criminal elements...


They had two children John born about 1864 and Nellie B Moore birth unknown she married a man by the name od Adler.

Langdon died 23 June 1910 in Swanzy, New Hampshire.

His last words in his book were:

I was more fortunate upon my release from the Massachusetts State Prison than I had been on the former occasion. Then I fell among thieves ; but this time I went among honest people, who, unlike the former, did by kind words and good advice what imprisonment, torture, and no other person had ever done before — caused me to experience a change of heart; and by their acts, as I alone know, did materially assist me to put away every desire I might have had to return to the old criminal life.

I cannot find words to express how deeply grateful I feel for the many disinterested acts of kindness I have received at the hands of these kind-hearted and honest people ; but to them all I give as earnest, sincere, and heartfelt thanks as were ever felt by man. That they, and all who are near and dear to them, may live long, die happy, and never know the want of a true friend to the end of time, is the sincere wish of


LANGDON W. MOORE.

His book has been used by many law enforcement officials and teachers as an instrument in teaching. I believe he would be proud, I also believe he died at peace knowing he was forgiven by himself, he reveals his feeling in a raw way for the times and is so open and honest about everything. He might just be one of my favorites.




Comments