William C Murray: Wanted

William C Murray was born about 1854 in New York City, to Alexander R. Murray & Elizabeth.


They ran off got married 27 Jan 1873 and went on the run. Ada G Shreve was born about 1856 in New York City to a good family, her sister Emma stood as a witness at their elopement. Her father was Jackson "John" Shreve & Marietta "Mary" E Parker.

I found tons of newspaper clippings on his crime and what unfolded in JAn 1873.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/62061678/william-c-murray/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/62057534/william-c-murray/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/62055145/william-c-murray/


Feb 1873

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/62060453/william-c-murray/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/62057983/william-c-murray/


Jan 21st a Friday they went to Boston then they took a train to Portland, ME and then proceed to Bangor, where they stayed until Monday. William told his wife he wanted to go back and turn himself in to his employer and gave her the 4 $1,0000 Gold Note and $1,000 in currency to hold for him and return to his employer, Ada stuck it in her stocking and that's where it remained until their return to New York. 



This is an Gold note


As they were on the train to return to New York, a marshal  had been watching them for a few days and was also on the train. An accident occurred by which the train was thrown from the track, and when they got out with the passengers to learn the cause, the young man approached Murray and told him who he was that he had been watching them, that he was Marshall.  At the sametime Mrs. Murray recognized him as the stranger who had spoken to her In the hotel.

Once they were back in New York at the jail his employer came and had the following conversation with him.


Mr. Slayhack then said: "Well, Billy. what caused you to do this I Now, tell me frankly all about It?" Murray: "I don't know; I cannot tell. I did not dream of It until the day I left New York." Mr, Slayback: "What caused you to leave?" Murray: "I thought from what you said to the bookkeeper the two days I was sick (about a week before his flight) that you had some suspicion, and I got frightened." Mr. Slayback: "Then why didn't you come and tell me that you had overdrawn your account and had used the petty cash. Oh, Billy  I do not care for the loss of the money, but you cannot buy back your good character, which you sold for $8,000. I would rather have given twice that amount than had you forfeit your good name." Murray: "Well, the thing kept growing on me every day, and many times I said I would come and tell you how I was situated, but hadn't the courage" Mr Slayhack: "Did you make any plans to go away?" Murray: "No, sir; I used this money at various times paying bills about the house and going out at times, My going away was the Impulse of that Tuesday only. I heard of others who had been guilty of the same crime as I had been who had gone to Canada and were never disturbed, and I fancied I could do the same thing." Mr Slayback: "Were the gold certificates In the safe the previous Monday) night?" Murray: "Yes, sir I did not take them out until Tuesday afternoon." Mr Slayhack -Well, Hilly, are you mlny to give me Slayback: "Well Billy, are going to give me back my money?" hestitution. Murray: (earnestly) "Yes, Mr. Slayback, overy dollar that I have not spent I had my wife conceal It, so that I could return It to you and save you paying the twenty percent, reward you offered." Mr. Slayback: "It Is too late to save that, Billy, the detectives have done their work and must be paid." Detective Tully returned to the cell, and Murray told his wife to give him the money.

I do not believe Mr. Slayback pressed charges and all was resolved. Ada and William went on to have children and live in New York and New Jersey. They had 3 daughters

Grace Murray

1874–

Gertrude Murray

1876–

Claudia Murray

1878–

I did not find William's death but Ada died in 16 May 1910 in Manhattan, I found her Find A Grave and her and William and the girls are all buried together. I had to send the some corrections and additions to the administrator of the Memorial.


https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/189997855/william-c-murray 


I made them a tree and added everything I could find, there are a couple trees that have them but have very little information.

What an adventure and a love story that actually ended good for a change.



Some descendant is going to love this story and and wanted poster and lovely photos of this couple.



Comments