Charles Campbell: Felony

 Charles Campbell was born 7 Nov 1858 in Charleston, SC.






Here's the link for the above article as I know it's difficult to read.

Seems his step daughter Josephine was accusing him of rape, she was 10 years old.



On the 13 Apr 1908 in Yuba City, CA Charles married a divorcee named Cora Lenora Curtis, she had been married to Nicholas Doucett and they had a daughter named Josephine Doucett (1899-1975).

As Charles was on the run and his neighbors wouldn't give him up to authorities his wife becomes ill and dies.












Charles ran the Meridian Ferry, I found these two photos of the ferry and I wonder if the photo below is him standing off to the side. This photo was taken about 1912.



I didn't find any prison records for him or any other newspaper articles saying he was found or the charges were dropped, however I did find his death index and he died 26 July 1923 in Pine Flat, CA. He was 64 years old.


I find it sad that he took up drinking and that may have been the cause of hurting his step daughter, I am not in anyway justifying his behavior. It's also sad he was only married a short time before his wife dies, the newspaper said she had consumption, which is another way of saying she had tuberculosis.

Josephine was married twice and had one child I found.

Spouse

Robert Hugh Cooke

1892–1964

Spouse & Children

Harry E. McCourry

1893–

June Ardis McCourry

1917–


I would guess the charges were dropped.




Comments