August Hoinka: Wanted

August Hoinka was born in Germany about 1867.


 I did not find any newspaper clippings, I tried his name and hers (Margaret Lynch).

He was in the Military in the Boer War in Africa and he was also in Australia.

He is wanted for Grand Larceny take $900 from Margaret Lynch. Where he go when he left Los Angeles? My guess would be to a ship as fast as he could and left the country. I check immigrations records but he could of changed his name easily enough. I love this story and I want to know more. Hopefully a descendant will come forward with some answers.

About the Boer Wars:



The Second Boer War, also known as the Boer War, Anglo-Boer War, or South African War, was fought between the British Empire and two independent Boer states, the South African Republic and the Orange Free State, over the Empire's influence in South Africa.



The South African Boer War begins between the British Empire and the Boers of the Transvaal and Orange Free State. ... By mid June 1900, British forces had captured most major Boer cities and formally annexed their territories, but the Boers launched a guerrilla war that frustrated the British occupiers.


The Boer Wars were significant in defining modern South Africa. The peace treaty in 1902 brought the British and Boers together in an uneasy alliance, allowing the formation of a unified South Africa.


Here's a rare footage of the Boer Wars














Comments

  1. Hi Gwen. I am doing some research on my Great Great Aunt, Christine Levitzke. She married August Hoinka in Natimuk, Victoria, Australia in 1929, when she was 70 years old! I am fascinated by this story and would love to find out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to use whatever I have, I made a tree for him. Newspapers are attached but you could look for more articles.

      Delete

Post a Comment