Frank James Holtslander: Criminal All Over The Country

Frank James Holtslander was born Francis James Holtslander 28 Jun 1872 in Kilburn, WI to James Francis Holtslander (1852-1917), & Clara Estabelle Reynolds (1860-??).


Inmate: #16186 Folsom Prison
Rec: 4 Apr 1930
Crime: Forgery

His father was also in prison in 1891 in Iowa for burglary.




Frank was again in Prison in 1944 in California.




Inmate: #24953 San Quentin (Transferred from Folsom)
Rec: 2 May 1944
Crime: Forgery 








 I found some newspaper clipping where he stated he had been in prison in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Washington, Missouri and Wyoming, this was in the Milwaukee newspaper 1948.



Here are some other articles I found on his crimes, he had alias.




The above is from 1908 Colorado





The above is from 1908 Colorado


The above is from 1908 Colorado



The above is from 1948 Wisconsin

In 1880 the family lived in Delton, Sauk, Wisconsin, USA, according to the Census. This is the only census I found.

I also found his WWII Draft Card


I never found a wife or children, but this didn't surprise me since he drifted all over. He did have a brother named Charles who was born about 1876. His father was married again 17 Oct 1905 to Sarah Basham (1867–1935).

Find A Grave has Frank's death wrong they have him dying in 1917 same as his father, I requested a correction but we all know how that can go. Frank died 20 Jun 1952 in Maricopa County, AZ.


Here's his death certificate:



He died alone, he had been in a nursing home before his death.

I found his Social Security Death Index:

Name: James Francis Holtslander
Gender: Male
Race: White
Birth Date: 28 Jun 1879
Birth Place: Kilburn, Wisconsin
Father:
Francis J Holtslander
Mother:
Etta Reynolds
SSN: 546263187
Notes: Mar 1939: Name listed as JAMES FRANCIS HOLTSLANDER

I bet he had so many interesting stories to tell. I wish I could talked to him and wrote them all for him and his descendants, what a treasure of adventures. 

 









Comments