Mark Barrett: Robber

Mark Barrett was born in 1881 in Montreal, Canada.


Inmate: #6201 Folsom Prison
Rec: 23 Aug 1905
Crime: Robbery



I found some newspaper articles on his crime.







On 9 Sep 1908 Mark got into a fight with another inmate named Miller, the guards claimed it was a ruse for an escape, and Mark was shot because he wouldn't stop fighting with the guy. I found the following newspaper clippings, just click on the links to read them. I am sure I buy the guards statement of a ruse to escape.









The newspaper articles say the guard fired 2 warning shots before firing a bullet into his head. Why weren't there guards on the floor pulling Mark off the man he was beating? Also why was the man's last name all the papers reported? I feel very strongly that this could of been prevented, there was no reason for him to be shot in the head and killed. He was only 27 years old. He is buried in the Folsom Prison Cemetery.



Added by EDHGS


 I didn't find his family, although there is another Mark Barrett from Canada but he died in 1948. It's horrible that his family most likely never knew what happened to him.




Comments