Hilario Herrera: Murder 2nd Degree

Hilario Herrera was born 14 Jan 1897 in  Pánuco de Coronado, Durango, México, to Juaniz Herrera & Ma Adalaida Lema. 


Inmate: #10226 Folsom Prison (California)
Rec: 3 Sep 1916
Crime: Murder 2nd Degree
Age: 19
Term: 14 Yrs
Discharged: 3 Jul 1925



I found some newspaper articles on his crime. Seems he was having an argument with a Mr. Juarez and a struggle ensued with a gun and the gun went off shooting Mrs. Soledad Juarez in the stomach and she died a few days later.







https://www.newspapers.com/clip/78721629/hilario-herrera/

This poor kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it got bad fast. I found him still in prison in the 1920 census. I also found his WWI Draft Registration Card.


About the only thing good that came out of this was a great trade of being a stone cutter.

I lost him after the 1920 census. He would of gotten out in 1925 but would of been on parole for a while, unless he requested to go back to Mexico, I did find any boarder crossing records. I also did not find his parent in the USA either. That had to of been a scary and lonely time for him. He didn't speak English as in the newspaper article it said he need a translator in court. I do feel he should of gotten manslaughter and not Murder in the 2nd degree.







Comments