James Eden Sutton: Christmas Murder 1883

James Eden Sutton born 4 Apr 1865 in England to John Sutton & Margarette.



Tulare County, California, U.S., Sheriff's Office and Jail Records, 1874-1963

Court Date:16 Aug 1884
Court Place: San Francisco, California, USA



This is his California voting record from 1886
He had a sister named Mary according to the 1880 census.
Here are some newspaper articles I found. 


 






I didn't find any prison records for him. 
James died 6 Oct 1900 in San Francisco, CA.
I found his death index and his Find A Grave Memorial.


Hester's obit says he died 1925 so there are discrepancies for his death. I could not find any further information. 

At age 13 while still in England he was a coal miner.

1900 census he is a stone contractor and married to a women named Hester Elizabeth Phillips and had 2 sons Frederick & James Jr. and a daughter Lillian. Hester re-married 5 years after James death to Andrew Ruckteschler.

James built a Hotel in Humboldt, a grade school in Elko and helped build the Washoe County Courthouse in Reno.

He was living at 1520 Mission Street in San Francisco when he died. Here is the address but I am sure his residence is long gone.



He went on to have a good life, I am just wondering if it really was self defense as he said it was, I think so.






Comments