Ruth "Winnie" McKinnell-Judd: Truck Murderer (Trigger Warning dead bodies)


 Ruth "Winnie" McKinnell was born 29 Jan 1905 in Oxford, Indiana, to Rev. Harvey Joy McKinnell (1860-1942) & Carrie Belle Niswonger (1866-1953).


Photo of her parents:





She married Dr. William Craig Judd (1883-1945) on 18 Apr 1924 in Tippecanoe, Indiana. No children. Photos of her and her husband below.





Here's some newspaper articles, just click on the links to read them.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-san-francisco-examiner-trunk-murders/99513893/

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-flint-journal-winnie-ruth-judd/191923848/

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-monroe-evening-news-winnie-ruth-judd/191924365/

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-monroe-evening-news-winnie-ruth-judd/191924365/


They had a panel of doctors, and she was tested for sanity.











The Tacoma Daily Ledger
Tue, Feb 09, 1932 ·Page 1


Winnie Ruth Judd takes the stand

https://www.newspapers.com/article/san-francisco-chronicle-winnie-ruth-judd/191924620/


Ruth Judd's Confession letters:




















The victims & Crime Scene evidence: (Trigger warning Body Parts)

























Her Brother Burton Joy McKinnell wrote a book.




The Los Angeles Times
Sat, Jul 09, 1932 ·Page 24




 The execution never happened, she was sentenced to life in the state hospital, but she escaped around 6 times.

 


The St. Augustine Record
Mon, May 12, 1947 ·Page 1


 


1952 escape attempt









She was granted parole in November of 1971 and lived in Arizonia where she died 23 Oct 1998.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-globe-and-mail-winnie-ruth-judd/191927887/



Ruth changed her name after leaving the hospital on Parole to "Mariane Lane"

There are two memorials on Find-A-Grave for her, but this one has all her information 38515595.

I believe she should have received life in prison. I think she fooled the doctors with her beauty and intelligence, and her repeated escapes alone suggest she was not insane. That’s just my opinion, though—I’m not a medical professional, only someone with a degree in Criminal Justice. I didn’t write much for this story because I felt the confession letter, photos, and newspaper article gave readers enough to form their own opinions. Still, I feel the victims were overshadowed by the spectacle. Where were their families and loved ones in all of this?


Please click the follow button for me and feel free to leave a comment. Thank you for stopping by.











Comments