Three Adams : Houston, TX 1917 Riot Camp Logan Series

I have been going through some Leavenworth Prison mugshots and records and came across some men with the same last name. My inner detective got the best of me and I did some digging. I am a huge history buff and I have not heard of this, (shame on my history teachers). In 1917 in Houston, TX at Camp Logan there was a riot where 13 black soldiers were convicted and hung and 41 other black soldiers tried and convicted and sentenced to life in prison. 

Almost from the arrival of the Twenty-fourth Infantry in Houston, the presence of black soldiers in the segregated Texas city caused conflict. The Jim Crow laws had not been enforced when the Twenty-fourth was deployed in Columbus, New Mexico, but in Houston the soldiers encountered segregated street cars and white workers at Camp Logan who demanded separate tanks of drinking water. Soldiers from the Twenty-fourth were involved in a number of "clashes" with city police, several of which resulted in the soldiers receiving minor injuries.


Map 24th infantry camp; Houston, Texas, showing bullet holes in vicinity (circa 1917)


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_riot_of_1917



Camp Logan


The Trial:

Trial 
 Largest Murder Trial in the History of the United States. Scene during Court Martial of 64 members of the 24th Infantry United States of America on trial for mutiny and murder of 17 people at Houston, Texas August 23, 1917. Trial held in Gift Chapel Fort Sam Houston. Trial started November 1, 1917, Brigadier General George K. Hunter presiding. Colonel J.A. Hull, Judge Advocate, Council for Defense, Major Harvy S. Grier. Major D.V. Sutphin, Assistant Advocate. Prisoners guarded by 19th Infantry Company C, Captain Carl J. Adler.

On August 31, 1918, President Wilson granted clemency to ten soldiers by commuting their death sentences to life in prison. Wilson issued a rare public statement in order that the basis of his action might be "a matter of record.
I will be doing a series on this because I have almost all their mugshots and I am compelled to tell their stories so they can be heard from the shadows of their graves. This is unacceptable to me. These men were soldiers for the United States of America, there were all discharged from service and received a dishonorable discharge, they had to forfeit all pay and allowances due them and be confined to prison for the rest of their lives. 

Before I am done I will be getting each and every one of them a pardon. Starting with my local senator. I will keep you posted.

The Adam brothers Story: (Updated)I found out they are not brothers and are no relation as far as I can tell.

Earnest E Adams was born abt 1891 in Little Rock, Ark He had a wife Bertha who sues for divorce while he is in prison.

He was Inmate #12241 
Rec: 16 Dec 1917
Leavenworth Prison




John Adams was born abt. 1892 in MO
Inmate #12242
Rec 16 Dec 1917
Leavenworth Prison
He became a Nurse in the prison hospital




Wash Adams born abt. 1896 possibly MS
Inmate #12243
Leavenworth Prison
He became a nurse in the prison hospital

I have not found any death records for any of them, but here's some newspaper clipping on the event.





I also found the following document concerning Earnest E Adams











The next is Wash Adams document


 This is all I found. 

I am hoping a family member will come forward and let us know if they ever got out or did they die in prison.


Now on one of these documents it says confined to life which it says is 10 years 9 months. Hum? But I still never found any death records for these gentlemen. I also checked Find A Grave for the Leavenworth Cemetery and they aren't listed.

The Adam brother's were apart of 24th United States Infantry Company I

If anyone else finds out anything please comment. Thanks. 


Update a friend found this:1927




Comments