Faith Louise Freeman: Murder 2nd degree

We as wives or at least some of us at sometime or another in our marriages have probably felt this way but of course would never act on it.

Faith must of just had enough or she was crazy...I didn't find any crazy records so I will say she had enough. Of course no one knows the real truth but her and her husband because they were the only ones there at the time.


Faith Louise Freeman also known as Hazel Wester, Hazel Barnett, Hazel Freeman and her true name Hazel Byington (all these aliases). Was born About 1907 in Texas.

She married Thomas J Freeman


Inmate #58515 San Quentin
Rec: 3 Jan 1936 from Los Angeles County, CA
Crime: Murder 2nd Degree
Term: 5-Life

Priors 1931 Manslaughter
Inmate# 58515 San Quentin (kept same # because she was on parole 10 years when committed murder)
Term: 0-10 years

The manslaughter charged was a result of a traffic accident. See newspaper clippings. 

I wonder how that must of been for her?




She had a few scars.










She killed her husband 21 Oct 1935, he was on active duty on the U.S.S. Arizona.







This is all the information I found, I didn't find a tree so I made her one. The only census I found was 1940 she was still in San Quentin. I found no marriage, birth, death and no children, I can assume her alias were most likely marriages. But I didn't find them either.

I feel that even though she was locked behind bars, she found freedom and peace within herself. I pray she found forgiveness with in her self and the rest of her life was a better one.




Comments