Jennie Downey: Shoots Lover In The Back

Mrs. Jennie Downey born ABT 1867 in Pennsylvania. I found no husbands or family.




Inmate #20623 San Quentin
Rec: 6 May 1904 From Santa Barbara
Crime: Attempted Murder 
Term: 14 years
Paroled: Dec 1911
Age:37



Just love her hat and coat.



I just loved Jennie's expression on her face and I had to find out more about her. 

He had gotten a job as a cook for Mr. Charles Wilson, whom owned a livery stable. They grew very fond of each other but then it went sour and arguments and accusations started a feud between them. Jennie had become a member of the Flower City Lodge of Rebekahs and she was to become a candidate for the highest office of lodge, when Charles accused her of stealing a big yellow diamond, worth several hundred dollars and unendorsed notes of several thousand of face value. He sued her to get them back. In return Jennie accused Charlie of stealing $800. They had been in and out of court over several issues.









The paper mentions she's from Kansas and her name was Mrs. Johnson. I didn't find any marriages and I do not know her maiden name. But boy is she a character. I bet she would be the queen of the ball in a room full of men to swindle. I love her, but why shoot him ?

I can't believe Charlie survived being shot as long as he did and the doctor says he will live.

But that didn't happened:




I would love to know who her husbands were at what happened to them? Maybe someday we will know the rest of the story.

Jennie died 11 Jun 1912 in Elsworth, KS according to a note written on her prison record. I did not find any death records or even a Memorial o FAG. 




Comments