Russell Augusta Hosler: Pilot Smuggler During Prohibition

Russell Augusta Hosler was born 28 Jul 1902 in Huntington, IN to Milo Alexander Hosler (1868-1940) and Della Lona Eddingford (1873-1962).


Inmate #38731 Leavenworth 
Rec: 25 Apr 1931 from Detroit, MI
Crime: Prohibition Conspiracy
Term: 2 years
Age: 28
Occupation: Aviation
Paroled: 16 Feb 1932







































In 1931 Russell and two other inmates decided to plot an escape plan from Leavenworth Prison. They had items smuggled in to build a glider to take off from the top of the prison shoe factory. He had built planes before and knew what he was doing. They even had bicycle wheels smuggled in.

Here's an article that was with his Leavenworth Records.


The following articles I looked up.



I would imagine it to be similar to this but with wheels





  He started flying in shows and derby's, found this newspaper article from before he was sent to prison.






Russell was flying the following planes across the Canadian boarder picking up whisky and bring it back into the U.S. with the help from William Holton and Peter Kelly.




The plane above is a Stinson-Detroiter similar to what Russell flew with his No. 1370




This one is similar to the Woodson  Bi plane No 7531 he few


When Russell left prison he went back home to help with the family farm but he did not stay grounded. 

Russell died 6 Dec 1979 in Toldedo, OH and now he will always get to fly.

Russell your story captured my heart, my daddy had a small plane when I was little and he would take me and brother up in it. It was the most amazing thing in the world. To look down and see the cars moving on the roads and the animals, is like a little fairy tale land. I will always have that precious memory. It was nice to get to know you and now I told your story.



Me and my brother on my Daddy's plane 

Here's my YouTube video





Comments

Post a Comment