August Britten: Dies From Gunshot Wounds

August Britten was born in 1870 in Norway, or so his criminal says, I have my doubts. Found no family information at all.



 Inmate #16784
Rec: 20 Apr 1896
Crime: Burg 1st degree
Term: 1 year 









Inmate #4177 Folsom 
Rec: 23 Sep 1897
Crime: Burglary 1st Degree
Term: 10 years










In 1892 a Judge committed him to the Stockton State Hospital
See document below.



Name August Britten
Age 22
Birth Date abt 1870
Birth Place Norway
Record Date 12 Jul 1892
Hospital Stockton State Hospital
Hospital Place Stockton, San Joaquin, California, USA

Melancholia: deep sadness or gloom; melancholy. "rain slithered down the windows, encouraging a creeping melancholia "dated
a mental condition marked by persistent depression and ill-founded fears.

Was this because he was fearful of getting caught for a crime he committed?


August died 8 May 1898 from his gunshot wounds.

He is buried in the Folsom Prison Cemetery and there is no photo of his grave, his FAG Memorial is #182559337


I wonder if he was hiding as a patient in the hospital for a crime he committed. He seems to be pretty sane to me considering the two newspaper articles I found. He was very handsome man and I can not imagine he was single, although I never found any records to prove he ever married. I checked California and Nebraska, He stated in his State Hospital record he lived there.

I think he was extremely lonely and that is why he was so sad. I hope he let go of whatever pain he had when he died.




Comments