Erna Metzie Janoschek: 17 Years Old San Quentin Prisoner

Erna Janocheck was born Ernestine Marie Janoschek 2 Apr 1911 in Los Angels, CA to Edward Janoschek (1865-) and Marie Ann Worthy (1873-1953). She also had one sibling a sister Grace Janochek (1905-1984.







She became Inmate #46002 San Quentin
Rec: 25 Sep 1928
Crime: Murder 1st Degree
Term: Life









As Erna was sitting in jail she calmly explained the events leading up to her strangling the little girl in her charge with her bare hands. Thais Liliencran Mrs. & Dr. Liliencran's 12 month old daughter.







Her story

"Where Was God?" 
   Asks Girl While Penning Amazing and Terrible Story of Strangling Out of the 'Alameia County Jail came an Amazing and terrible human document yesterday. From the inner consciousness of l7-year-old Ema Janoschek the girl who slew  a one-year-old child entrusted to her care emanated this revelation in psychology a starling disclosure of the cumulative effect of trivial happenings, of peculiar mental reactions, of events insignificant in themselves and that might happen in any household, yet in their totality driving this strange girl to murder. 

  Just as she set it down in her cell, this account of what went on in Erna Janoschek's mind, and why, is herewith published. It displays an unexpected facility in the English language, reverting, occasionally, to expected colloquialism. Here, precisely as she wrote without even editing of misspelled words, is the story of Erna Janoschck, now on trial for her life:
 by ERNA JANOSCHEK 

 It was not until Sunday evening, June 24, that I frankly told myself that I was growing dissatisfied with my work. Doctor Liliencrantz Sr., and wife, were over to dinner that night and, as is often the case when there are guests, the meal was delayed to a late hour. It was fully 8:30 before the table was entirely deserted. I emitted a sigh as I regarded the endless stacks of dirty dishes and greasy pots and pans. The fntire day had been a strenuous one; beginning with the baby's cry to be dressed at 5 o'clock a. m. to the prodigious task awaiting me. 

TODAY N STRANGLING HURT HER FINGERS
 Of course, I would have to jagg my finger a couple of times on the new carving knife. Although neither of the cuts were at all serious, it took at least ten minutes time from my work to stop the blood. As a culminating hindrance and annoyance, I discovered that the stove tray was thickly laden with burnt strawberry jam. Mrs. Liliencrantz, I now recall, had made some preserves late that afternoon, and, apparently, it had escaped her attention once or twice and boiled over. Well, I scoured and scraped with all diligence for at least a quarter of an hour before the stuff yielded to my efforts. So much for detail, but I might relate that It was fully 10:30 before the kitchen was In order and the stove tray could boast complete cleanliness. The Sunday morning paper was awaiting me on the stairs when I retired to my room that Sunday night Intending to scan the paper over, I threw myself on the bed, but the first page was never turned. It was 2:30 before the glare of the electric light interferred with my sound slumbers and aroused me to consciousness. I recovered from my somnolence sufficiently to switch off the light, undress, and get into bed Instead of on top. Then in another Instance insensibility had caught me again.

   Baby Wakes, Coos 
Little Tee Tee (Thas Dlnnne), was as regular as the clock In her awakening. By 5 a. m. she was cooing, by 5:30 she was crying and by 5:45 I was dressing her. Pretty little puss! Who could resist her smiles? Whatever resentment I might have held toward that early bird as I dragged my sleepy person down the stairs was dissolved immediately as I responded to the little outstretched arms. The assurance that "my baby" loved me was hartenlng. Francora awakened next. Attentive to both, I soon had them In the kitchen dressed, washed and ready for their breakfast. All was peace and harmony until Mrs.Liliencrantz presented herself in the kitchen.  I am not saying that my good lady was the Instigator ot trouble. It Just happened that Francora grew peevish and refused to go out and play. 

Had Headaches 
Busied with household duties; washing, sweeping, dusting, cleaning, etc. I usually left the children pretty much to the care of their mother in the forenoon althougn I did assume the responsibility of keeping "Miml" (Francora) from running away. Monday was wash day, or rather, the big wash day. I wash the children's clothes every day), I can still sense the dull sluggish headache that forced Itself upon me as I hung the clothes on the line. "Miml" begged to "help" me, so I gave her a few of the handkerchiefs and napkins to carry to the line. But I realized my mistake too late. A moment later I found them strewed along the garden walk. Of course, this was a little distracting, but I really was more annoyed at myself than at my charge. After all, clean, white napkins and black, moist soil are bound to evoke temptation for a curious three-year-old. I remember a very similar experience of my own at the age of two. Freshly clad In a white, starched frock I found myself most susceptible to the lure of a new mud-hole. Ten minutes alone In the backyard and I was wallowing like a little pig In the mire and enjoying It. 

Child Forgiven 
So Francora was forgiven. Monday afternoon I amused the babies outside in the back yard. I was always accustomed to playing with them and so I did today, even If my mind were made up to disengage myself at the end of the month. It was a merry time we had that day. One of our assumed tasks for that afternoon was to christen "Tee Tee's" new birthday baby. After considerable debate and variance of opinion we finally compromised on Belle. A short name, we reasoned, would be most fitting as a change from the lengthy titles of Francora's babies Barbara June, Baganna (a rag doll) and Margaret Reglna. We lived entirely In the realms of our Imaginations that afternoon, First we played street car In the chair swing. Then It was hospital with the four dolls as our patients. Though the course of our play was all one enigma to little "Tee Tee," she seemed n enjoy herself Im mensely, laughing when we laughed and cooing merrily as we chattered. Francora was unusually responsive arl it was more than once that she lig htened my somber spirits with the spontaneous "Oh, aren't we hav'ng fun, Erna?" 


Mother Returns
Mrs. Liliencrantz, who had been away that afternoon, arrived home at about 5 o'clock. It was then that Francora  remembered for the first time since early morning that she was irritable. The moment that her mother stepped in the door, her attitude toward me veered. She said little, but her little black eyes snapped at me as if I were a boorish intruder. Mrs. Liliencrantz did not fail to observe the child's refractoriness. Her inference, doubtless, was that I had had trouble with her "Mimi" that afternoon. But how much good does explanation do? Verbosity is often detrimental and always void. I tried my best to keep in good spirits as I prepared the children's evening meal, and I did, at least outwardly. But when, an hour or two later, Francora firmly refused to let me undress her, and yelled like a maniac when I called her, I made up my mind another time that I was through. To encounter a child who did not voluntarily submit herself to my care was entirely a new experience for me. Never in my life had I coaxed a child, nor was 1 intending to now. Even if it were sheerly out of independence, I walked away, leaving the little rascal to the mercy of her mother. It was the first time in my life that I can remember really being outwardly provoked at a child. With the prescience that my prestige, whatever little I had ever had, was forfeited, I felt like screaming I was going to leave yes, quite true! But even then the thought that I was stung would not be so easy to leave behind.

Erna Is Slient
Mrs. Lilencrantz had no reason to accuse me of being too talkative that night. I resumed my work in silence. Not that I held any adverse feeling toward her. in fact, she sought to recover my lacerated spirits with the frequent, "Francora is a moody child." But it was I who had to bear the brunt of it all. I retreated to my room as soon as the dinner dishes were done, hesitating not even to pick up the paper. 
Horrid, horid sensation-that which gripped me on awakening Tuesday morning as the unfruitful results of the previous day surged into my memory. But after taking a brisk cold bath I went downstairs in a fair better humor than when I had mounted them stairs the previous evening. My mind was made up now. I would disclose my plans to Mrs. Liliencranzt, and beat it that very day if possible.
Life is incessantly holding surprises for us. How often circumstances arise and events culminate just opposite from the way we had expected! The law of contrary was most evidently illustrated as I entered the children'e bedroom. Francora and I both had a surprise awaiting us that morning. Contrary to my expectations, she seemed un-usually submissive and even appealing. Indeed, she had not forgotten the little scene of the night before But, instead of continuing to play her little bad girl role, she did everything within her power to atone for her antics. Furthermore, she was astonished to see me calm, appearently oblivious, and even entertaining. If I remember rightly we played resaurant at breakfast. 

Babies Merry
When Mrs. Liliencrantz came out for breakfast she found her tots as merry as little larks. Tee Tee sat in her buggy busily engaged clapping two lids together (a favorite pastime), while "Mims was at the game that she always chose when she was happy, running back and forth from the dining room to the kitchen with the frequent "Erna, what are you doing? while I would reply in an equally playful tone, "Mimi-what are you doing?" Nor did Francora's attitude change on the apprearence of Mrs. Liliencranzt. On the other hand, she was noticeably indifferent to her mother's good morning smile. I must confess that the apathy that she displayed toward her own mother was a balsam to my spirits. I now has suffiencient evidence to prove that her periodical tantrums and captious moods were not personally directed to e. I knew too well that she loved her mother, so this morning I confirmed my lady's ultra frequent observances, "Francora is such a moody child."
Noticing that I was unsually busy that morning, Mrs. Lilliencranzt proposed to bathe the babies. While "Tee Tee" was being ministered to Francora, desirous again to "Help." wipe the silver for me.

Wanted Mamma 
How easily a "set" mind will be swaved bv circumstances! Again, I nearly resolved to try anew. When, half hour later, I heard Denow- ings resounding from the bathroom I was glad. "Francora seldom even whimpered when I bathe her," I proudly told myself. The child con-tlnued to scream, and her mother called me Into the bathroom. For Eome unknown reason, the crying ceased the moment I entered the room, but Just as I was feeling proud to tie the deliverer, the little vixen commenced her howling again be tween the intermittent "I want my-mama to dress me." It was altogether too plain that Mrs. Llllen crantz and I were making our selves slaves for the spoiled child-slaves! competing for her favor. Bah! It was the last time that I was going to let a child make my day miserable. Again the child was transferred to the arms ot ner mother at the Indulgent "Oh she wants to come to her mama, poor little 'Miml.'" To put It mildly, my pride was hurt; and I was about to resign my post right then and there, but for some reason or other I never produced more than one concise statement. "You're really making it very hard for me, Mrs. Llllencrantz, In not co-operating with me." I was surprisingly col lected as I said It. I Rebels at Whim "Oh, really," wu the sententious reply. It was not until later that my lady sallied Into the living room, her eyes confirming the irony in her words. "So you're a first rate disciplinarian, are you?" I saw that she had misconstrued mo entirely. The idea of acquiescing to a child's every whim and caprice way what had annoyed me. As to superior disciplinary powers the thought of such had never entered my mind. Mrs. Liliencrantz, not usually imperious, assumed all the airs of a superior for the remainder of the afternoon. But I was Insensible or rather, Indifferent to her manner. Whether I pleased, or whether I didn't please I didn't care one iota. went ahead and worked exactly as I pleased, Irrespective of conse quences and at 5 o'clock, as I pre pared the children's cereal, I told her that I wished to leave. ell although she didn't ask for It proceeded to make an explanation 

Rebels at Whim 
I soon- returned to the bedroom, regarded the sleeping children again, stifled a mad variety of thoughts, then chose for my victim the one I loved. "More dramatic," I said to myself. I laughed as the scripture came to me "Two shall be sleeping In a bed. One shall be taken and the other left." Little Tee Tee blinked at the light as I carried her gently upstairs. I marveled at my own adeptness as I quickly pulled the towel about her throat. One moment she looked into my eyes and cried. In another moment she was uncon-clous, I continued to pull even after she had ceased to writhe, to make certain that she was dead. Still a little doubtful, I slipped a bathing cap over her face and head. with all air excluded, I reasoned it would be Impossible for her to live long. I looked closely to see If ahe was heaving. Once I imagined that I discerned a little twitch of the hand. 

'Too Strenuous' 
"Francora" I told her, "ls the first child not to appreciate my care and companionship, and," I con tinued with growing fervor in my voice "it's Impossible for me to work with any enthusiasm or Interest when a child openly dislikes me. Anyway I feel that the work that you require is a little too strenuous for a girl just seventeen." Mrs. Liliencrantz made no allusion to the last clause, but "as to Fran cora," she confided, "I believe you are mistaken. With the exception of one girl Francora likes you bet ter than any girl I ever had." "Well I pity the other girls then." I believe 1 said this to myself. But this eulocy, if It could be called sndh; areallT o my pride In spite of my ostensible apathy. It looked as if she were a bit sorry that I wished to leave. And of course I wanted her to be human nature! But when the question of salary arose, I recoiled a bit. "If you were to pay for all the things you have broken, I don't believe you'd have a cent coming to you," Mrs. Liliencrantz triumphed. Ot course, she was ex-aggorating tremendously, but I did feel guilty. I had broken a num ber of little things, and the exasperation lay In the fact that 1 am not naturally "one to break things" (ask my mother).

Remembers Eyes
 "well," I confessed, "I have" but the door -was banged In my face, so I thought the rest nd a little more. When Mrs. Llllencrantz emerged from the bedroom dressed ' to go out her entire manner was changed. As I was glvrng Tee Tee her bottle she came to me, and In a calm complacent voice ald: "Well, you will be eweet to mv babies, anyway, won't you, Erna?" And then, with a trace of emotion, "I know you always are." "Oh, yes," I reassured her. It was then that I caught a plint In her eyes that will haunt ms for the rest of my life. Not of antrer, not of disdain, not of mistrust, but of confidence. Did it touch me? As I led little 'Miml' to the win dow, a moment later, to wave a bye bye to her mother, I waved, too. l naa never waved before. So the children were fed and put to bed. A Francora hopped Into ht Uttla bed iti asked ma that question that she loved to ask so often. "What makea It get dark?" Another time I explained the course of the sun and its relationship to the earth, until her wrinkled little forehead relaxed and she exhibited thorough satisfaction. Then I tucked both babies In their little twin beds and left the room.


Gazes Out Window 
After my own repast, I grazed vacantly out of the window for a while, scanned a periodical, and then commenced to do the dishes. It was not until the last pot and pan was In Its place, and I was shining the stove with a piece of wax paper that a mad, alien thought rushed to my mind. From where did It come? Why? How? I would attempt no conjecture, I know that It remained, and I did not endeavor to get rid of It. Scarcely was the thought born before I was planning to act upon it, and within a half an hour I found myself sitting by Tee Tee's bed writing her a farewell poem. It was while thus engaged that Mrs. Llllencrantz' mother dropped In "to see how the children were." I quickly tucked the sheet of paper in my blouse pocket and rushed to the front hall to welcome her. After scanning through nearly every room in the house and giving me a strong reason to believe that she knew all about my intending to leave she left.

Continues Poem
 "Ah ha" I laughed to myself, "ahe doesn't know the half of it." I pulled out my half formed poem and continued to scribble. A sardonic grin settled on my face as I read and reread the gruesome lines. I could hardly make up my mind whether I was serious or . Anyway, not once did I feel the pricks of a better nature (I doubt that I have one). My conscience was callous. As soon as the poem was written I went out and disarranged the kitchen. God only knows the rea son for this erroneous procedure. I scattered the oranges about the room, threw out nearly a whole cake and a quantity of salt, Inverted the fruit bowl; and was on the verge of breaking some of the dishes, but I at last decided "not to be destructive." Oh, mad hourl Where was God?

Cites Scriptures 
I soon- returned to the bedroom, regarded the sleeping children again, stifled a mad variety of thoughts, then chose for my victim the one I loved. "More dramatic," I said to myself. I laughed as the scripture came to me "Two shall be sleeping In a bed. One shall be taken and the other left." Little Tee Tee blinked at the light as I carried her gently upstairs. I marveled at my own adeptness as I quickly pulled the towel about her throat. One moment she looked into my eyes and cried. In another moment she was uncon-clous, I continued to pull even after she had ceased to writhe, to make certain that she was dead. Still a little doubtful, I slipped a bathing cap over her face and head. with all air excluded, I reasoned it would be Impossible for her to live long. I looked closely to see If ahe was heaving. Once I imagined that I discerned a little twitch of the hand. hand.

Grows Nervous 
It was then for the first time that I grew a tiny bit nervous. Recklessly I pulled the towel tighter and tighter and then slipped the body between the mattresses. After kneeling oh top 'jt five or ten minutes, I left the room. "Within fifteen minutes I returned to give the body a' final Inspection before I phoned the police. There were no doubts now. Only a lifeless mass remained. I phoned to the City Hall immediately, and as I awaited the officers In the living room, I took out the little death poem again. At first I had planned to pin It on the baby, but an after thought prompted me to keep it in my own possession. So I folded the sheet into as small a bulk as possible and slipped it at the back of my cheek, where jail matrons would never think to look. Thus, serenely I folded my hands and waited for fate to take its course.
(Signed) ERNA JANOSCHEK.

EXPERTS DECLARE GIRL SLAYER SANE; CASE NEARS CLOSE 
Came to her to execute 'the perfect crime.' "She would kill a child, do away with the body, and escape detection by a carefully arranged plan. However, something deterred her, and she did not carry out her scheme. In my opinion, she Is slightly abnormal, but not enough so to disturb her responsibility." All of the experts admitted that the family history had shewn the taint of insanity en both the father's and mother's side. The father, who deserted his family eight years ago, was peculiar, preferring to spend his life reading In public libraries rather than to support his family. An uncle had attempted suicide in England, and was committed to an asylum; a cousin was insane.


All admitted that the girl herself has peculiar. "But every criminal is abnormal," insisted Dr. Robert L. Richards. "This defendant fully realized the nature and quality of her act. She realizes that she has done wrong. I fall to find any symptoms of dementia praecox however. Her habit of smiling while discussing her crime is merely 'a manifestation of emotional stress. She is an unusual child secretive dramatic inclined to exaggerate her own importance but there is nothing to Indicate Irresponsibility." Another expert, Dr. Sydney K. Smith, said that among the girl's abnormalities was the habit of washing her face "upwards of 100 times a day." That occurred two years ago at school, he said, and one time she used clorax. Her complete emotional apathy over the crime was also unusual.
That was evident when the took the stand yesterday. Her voice was natural; her manner easy she said afterward t-.at she was not the least bit nervous. "I was cleaning the stove when the idea popped into my head to strangle the baby," she been eyeing the jury casually, "So; I got a towel from the bathroom and twisted it tight around the baby's neck. When it seemed to be dead I put a bath cap over its head. To make sure it was dead I then put it between the mattresses and keeled upon it. "Mrs. Liliencrantz had quarreled with me that morning about the way I handled the two children and the dishes I broke. So I killed the one she loved most to get even. No; I don't feel any remorse. I know how others feel about it, but I don't feel at all.




"I called the police and told them the maid had killed a baby. I did not attempt to escape because I had no money and I knew they would find me." "But didn't you realize the consequences?" asked the District Attorney. "Oh yes I saw the court I saw everything that would come, except I did not think the question of my sanity would be brought up." "Do you think you are insane now?" "No," answered the girl decisively. That question will no doubt be settled by the Jury today.



Another account during trial:


Erna Janoschek Smiles as She Hears Heart-Broken Father of Victim Tell Crime Story ALL four experts appointed by the court pronounced Erna Janoschek sane yesterday. Their decision, closing a day of of sensations, came as a crushing blow to the defense. The 17-year-old high school girl, accused of slaying a year-old baby, had staked everything on her plea of not guilty by reason of insanity. She even went so far as to take the stand yesterday in her own defense. Calmly, without a trace of emotion, she faced the courtroom of Superior Judge Fred V. Wood at Oakland, where the trial is being held, and told the story of the crime to the minutest detail. The courtroom was packed to the doors, Smiles on Stand l Her mother and elder sister sat at the counsel table during the fearful recital at times in tears, at times shrinking In horror. But the girl with the smiling blue eyes and maliciously twisted a towel around a sleeping baby's neck, never for an instant lost her composure. At times she smiled pleasantly at answer to her attorney's questions. Even when Dr. Eric Liliencrantz, young father of the slain baby, was called to the witness stand, the girl, who had resumed her place at the counsel table, did not deign to drop her eyes, but regarded him complacently as he talked from a broken heart. Verdict Likely Today Erna Janoschek.


Her parents were divorced by 1930

Her sister fought for her life while on the stand, saying she tried getting her sister help many times. She was a University student. 


Her mother took the stand and cried so violently she shook, she was absent the following day from court.


Erna was transferred from San Quentin to Mendocino State Hospital in 1928 returning to San Quentin 3 Jun 1930, thenagain being transferred to Tenachapi (Women's Prison) on 7 Nov 1933 as Inmate #11594


In 1935 she asked for release from prison:


 Parole denied:





She was finally paroled in 1940


I never found any records after her parole, I wonder if she changed her name. I didn't find any marriage record or death record for her. Her mother left California moved to North Carolina where she died in 1953 never remarrying. 

Her sister Grace stayed in California and married Charles R Eaton, she died in 1984 in Monterey, CA.

The family of the murdered child:

Dr. Eric Guy Liliencrantz was born 6 Nov 1902 in Orkland, CA and died in 1942. He was a doctor at Stanford University and graduated from Berkeley. 





He married Thais Scott on 25 Jun 1924 in CA and they had 2 daughters

Francora Thais Liliencrantz 1925-
She was married twice Leo H Wuesthoff & Morris Orlando Milius


Thias Dianne Liliencrantz 1927-1928





I believe this is the girls, the link where I found the photo is broken so I could find out where the photo came from, hoping it's ok to post it. It only had their father's name attached to the photo. Aren't they precious...There are two trees on Ancestry for this family and no newspaper records or photo's are attached, so they might not know this sad story.

Anyone with more information please comment on this and let us know. This story really ripped up my heart for both families. It's just over whelming to know a poor baby innocent was murdered and that it was done by a 17 year old girl...2 families destroyed.

I found these after I wrote Erna's story:





I broke down the main article above so it's easier to read.



She changed her name after she was paroled from prison.

 ERNA MAZIE JANOSCHEK, Tehachapi No. 46002, was convicted of the crime of murder first degree in Alameda County during September, 1928, and received a life sentence. She served approximately 12 years 3 months in prison or until her release on parole December 17, 1940. Commutation of sentence to time served recom mended by the Adult Authority and Judge Charles Wade Snook of the Superior Alameda County. Commutation of sentence to time served granted October 1, 1943.
  

Comments

  1. Fascinating. Amazing details included!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank so much, It was fun to write but very sad I cried, both families had a huge painful loss and experience. But that poor little baby really got to me the most, so innocent in all this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write your stories. Calm, without exaggeration, portraying both sides. Huge plus is the documentation of first-hand accounts! Do you know by any chance what has become of Erna Janoschek after her release? Would love to see an update to that!
    - Best regards,
    C. U.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know what happened to her, sorry hun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wikitree says she died age 95 in 2007 ??? https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Janoschek-7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that added information, I shall update this.

      Delete

Post a Comment