Charles M Phelps: Murders, Was He a Serial Killer?

Charles M Phelps was born about 1855 in Ohio. He was married 24 Oct 1895 to Katie Jacobs, he was her 3rd husband.









Inmate #266 Idaho State Prison
Rec: 23 July 1891 
Crime: Manslaughter 
Term: 4 years
Pardoned 31 Jan 1894



Herbert West was a Deputy US Marshal 
First known murder.




Inmate # 392 Idaho State Prison
Rec: 8 Aug 1894
Crime: Assault With A Deadly Weapon
Term: 1 Year
Victim was Frank Walton




John Egan was his second known murder.


Some longer newspaper articles 

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/31025857/charles_m_phelps/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/31027259/charles_m_phelps/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/31027284/charles_m_phelps/

So he was know in the Utah State Prison and I found some records for this crime, where again he seeks a pardon.



























In 1910 Charles is out and in Oregon and kills yet again, John May was murdered and Charles was chased down.




https://www.newspapers.com/clip/31027120/charles_m_phelps/

He was caught and that's where the records have ended. I believe he eventually died in prison. I made him a tree on Ancestry and that's where most of my records came from. I believe he was a serial killer, the definition is 3 or more kills and I truly believe there were more. He confessed to the John Egan murder as though he wanted the attention and credit. The 1900 census he is in the Utah prison and claims to be a widow. 

He was a blacksmith by trade and I have found him as such in the city directories. He could read and write. 

This was a research adventure that took me several days, I found it intriguing.





Comments

  1. Hi Gwen:
    I have been working on US Marshals and deputies in Montana and found your blog. I am concetrating on USM William Furay, now, who arrested Charlie Phelps, a former deputy in Idaho at Helena, MT. You blog research is gold mine of documents, good stuff! - Randy Martinez, retired Deputy US Marshal (Missoula, Helena).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Use anything I have, I also made a tree on Ancestry for him.

      Delete

Post a Comment