Verna Leona Shipley-Byers: Exposing Another Person To Venereal Disease

Verona Leona Shipley was born 10 Sep 1910 in Drexel, MO., to Arthur Ashton Shipley (1880-1945) & Mary Alberta Anderson (1882-1919).


Inmate: #5557 Idaho State Prison
Rec: 28 Sep 1937
Crime: Exposing Another Person To Venereal Disease






I do not judge any of the people I write about, I was not there and I did not know them or the circumstances. I wanted to write about this case because it wasn't that unusual during this time. Even today you can be charged with this crime.

Verna was married to Richard Clifton Byers (1908-2001). 2 July 1928 in Asotin, Washington, USA. They had 2 children.

Teddy Richard Byers
1930–1995
Juanita Verna Byers

1931–1974

Juanita married William "Billy" Gene Bethea
(1931–1956). They had a daughter.

William "Billy" Gene Bethea



Jeanie Lorraine Bethea

1949–1950

Her death was horrible, she suffocated.




Could you imagine the horror of waking up in the morning and finding your baby dead.

Then 6 years later she would lose her husband in a horrific accident.


He was a engineer working on a bridge that was being built in Texas.




Here are some photos that were taken by the Houston Chronicle, showing the divers looking for the missing men, and the bridge. 







Below is the: News Script: One Still Missing in Bridge Collapse





I don't believe Juanita ever married again.

Verna died 25 Aug 1995 in El Cajon, CA. She Richard as far as I can tell stayed together until they died. I didn't find any newspaper clippings on the prison sentence but that didn't surprise, back then newspapers were a little more respectful towards folks especially if they new them. I would assume she was either cured or got the treatment she needed to live out the rest of her life.




Comments

  1. thank you for my family history i been updating the family tree and came accross your post thanks but afew things don't line up .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, use anything I have, there is also a tree I made on Ancestry.

      Delete

Post a Comment