Madison Reno: Grand Larceny , Burglary & Escape

Madison Reno was born about 1846 or 1856 in California. I have 2 years as that's what was record in the criminal records.


Inmate: Sacramento County, Jail 
Rec: 26 Jul 1877
Crime: Grand Larceny



 Escaped from the county jail then stole a gold watch, there was a $50 reward for the return of the watch and capture of Reno, Afterwards he stole a gold watch swiss patent lever movement plain case, gold chain enamel tips, short flat links. $50 reward for recovery of watch and delivery of Reno.

He was first in San Quentin Prison as Inmate: #6262 Rec: 26 Nov 1874 age 18 for burglary was discharged 6 Oct 1875. Then he again returned to San Quentin as Inmate: #7725 Rec: 7 Sep 1877 for Grand Larceny, he was taken to court as a witness 17 Jun 1878 and then discharged on parole in 1804. He was again at San Quentin as Inmate # unknown Rec: 7 Mar 1884 10 term for Grand Larceny. This last one he was pardoned by the Governor date unknown.

I found a few newspaper articles from California and Nevada.



Petaluma Weekly Argus

Petaluma, California

Sat, Apr 06, 1872 · Page 3




The Pacific Bee

Sacramento, California

Sat, Nov 10, 1877 · Page 5




The Daily Appeal

Carson City, Nevada

Fri, Aug 31, 1877 · Page 2




The San Francisco Examiner

San Francisco, California

Fri, Jan 04, 1884 · Page 4

The 1880 census he is in San Quentin as a prisoner.


He may have been married I found this marriage index for a Madison Reno in Illinois.

Name: Madison Reno

Gender: Male

Marriage Date: 17 Nov 1862

Marriage Place: Greene, Illinois, USA

Spouse Name: Martha W Eldred

Spouse Gender: Female


I also found a death index for a Madison Reno

NAME: Madison Reno

DEATH DATE: 19 Jun 1892

DEATH PLACE: Cohoes, New York, USA

CERTIFICATE NUMBER: 29028

Could this be him? I searched high and low and there are very few records for Madison Reno so I am thinking this would have to be him.

I also researched Martha and found no other matches I felt were 100% her.


What happened to Madison? Where did he go? I googled People Vs Madison Reno and didn't find that court record. There more to him, I know it. Guess we'll have to wait for more records to show up.

I did find a tree on FamilySearch for him and Martha is attached to him, I added the newspapers and his mugshot. I also made him a tree on Ancestry. 










Comments