Augustus Dyson: Murder and More

Augustus Dyson was born Aug 1865 in Washington D.C. to a unknown father and Katherine.



Inmate: #211 District of Columbia Jail
Rec: 25 Apr 1885
Crime: Murder


Here are some newspaper clippings I found on the crime, the ones with links just click the link it will take you to the article.








 https://www.newspapers.com/clip/70271430/augustus-dyson/


Augustus was sentenced for manslaughter and received three years in the Albany prison.

In 1880 census he was in reform school in Washington D.C. it was located on Bladenberg Road. He was 18 years old. I Googled the address and this photo came up as the reform school that was there but no name of it.


I believe he was sent here for Assault and attempted rape, here are the newspaper articles I found for the 1878.






I also found more crime and mayhem for Augustus.

These are for 1894



These took place in 1895


This one was in 1897 and the last one I found.



Here is his family his mother was a widow before 1870, I found census records for them from 1870, 1880. The 1880 census has her oldest son John as her inferred spouse I put in a correction for that as he was 18 and she was 35 and he was in the earlier census as her son.

John E Dyson

1852–

Joseph Dyson

1853–

Ella Dyson

1855–

Mary A. Dyson

1860–

William Dyson

1862–

Augustus Dyson

1865–

Cassie Dyson

1866–

Their mother Katherine was born about 1835 in Washington, D.C.


What an amazing photo of him. I hope a descendent finds this, so they can have this treasure for their tree. He seemed to of been a lost soul, maybe because his father died when he was so young. I didn't find his mother in the 1900 census, Augustus is in German, PA working as a cook and single.




Comments