The Brother's BAND: Their Criminal Lives

 The Band brothers were all born in California to John Band (184-1893) & Catherine (1850-1928). Here is the hearting breaking story of this family.

The father John's obituary 



We will start with the oldest brother and work way to the youngest.

The first born was the only daughter Mabel born about 1875 Married James Tierney and died 24 May 1913.



Next we have William J Band born about 1877 and he died in 10 Apr 1903, killed in a train accident.



Here is the link for the article below to help it better



Now we have Archibald "Archie" Bernard Band born 23 Jan 1879 & died 22 Oct 1933 in California.







Inmate: #19974 Folsom Prison
Rec: 10 Feb 1903
Crime: Felony



He would not of been able to go to his brother William's funeral or be there for his mother & siblings.



Inmate: #23885 San Quentin Prison
Rec: 28 Oct 1909
Crime: Burglary







Below is his wanted poster for the above crime, I found all these documents on Ancestry, they have an amazing collection criminal records.


1911 things turned bad and Archie got caught with drugs. I have no idea when he started using but I can imagine it may have started in prison and or with the people he was hanging out with.  


1916


1919



Inmate: #33172 San Quentin
Rec: 29 May 1919
Crime: Vio. Drug Act
He was transferred to Folsom and below is that mugshot.


Inmate: #17335 Folsom
Rec: 21 Nov 1919
Crime: Vio. Drug Act


1923









1926

1930



Next is Eugene Leo Band born 11 Jan 1881 & died 31 Mar 1932 in California.



Inmate: #24975 San Quentin Prison
Rec: 9 May 1911
Crime: Burglary

He married in 1911


1910 he tried to get help with his drug addiction, he was hooked on morphine & Cocaine, if you read his prison cards you will see they list all his track marks & scars on his legs, arms ect..
 On 16 Sep 1910 he was admitted to Mendocino State Hospital




1913 he jumped parole and there were wanted bulletins distributed through the police stations and sheriffs offices in California


He went to Federal Prison at McNeil Island in Washington in 1923

Inmate: #(Can not read very faded)
Rec: 19 Nov 1923
Crime: Vio. of The Harrison Act (Drugs)


1928


1930



I did a whole blog on Arva Case I will post link at the bottom of this story. I never found these articles of her and this connection until I research Eugene. Fascinating how you can find things and how they end up being connected.
 This is everything I found, so sad that this family went through so much pain in their lives, some due to poor choices and other things out of their control. I would love to find out why Mabel died, maybe childbirth or another accident? I am pretty sure Archie & Eugene died from drug use, I did not find any obituaries for them.

Thank you everyone for reading this story. I am always pulled into the past as I write and research them, it's like see a movie in my head. I can see the clothes they would of worn and hear the sounds of the city and music and the smells of the bars, and drug houses and the prisons. It is all so intriguing to me and I just love this stuff so much. The untold stories buried in time, and I get to breath life back into them, what a treat.


 














Comments